Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Are We Too Dependent on Google?

On May 14th, late morning on the East coast, I sat at my computer trying to access Google Docs to update a proposal that was due that day. To my horror, I discovered that Google was down. "How is this be possible?" I thought. "And what on earth am I going to do?" Not only was Google Docs down, but every Google app that we depended on - Search, Analytics, Gmail, Calendar, etc. - was down. I was suddenly faced with how dependent we had become on Google and how inaccessible the web seemed without them.

Needless to say, we were back up in less than an hour with no loss of data. But the experience left me wondering, "How dependent are we on Google?"

Did you experience the outage? How dependent on Google are you? Let us know by replying to our tweet @ifmodules or by answering our blog poll.

No comments: